Friday, May 29, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend


Memorial weekend I was working pager duty so I needed to keep close to the house. We grilled out and Harry invited his friends, Muneeb, Damien and Kayla over one night. I grilled steaks and of course teenagers love to eat. These kids are still teens but
barely and they've all graduated from highschool. Muneeb and Harry used to hang out together in high school even though Muneeb lived in Rochester and Harry lived in Pine Island. They started to getting goofy so Muneeb confided in me some of the things they used to do together, like Movie Money. They would say they were going to a movie so their parents would give them money but end up going to an outdoor rink for pickup hockey instead. Harry 's idea of fun was always interesting...

When he worked at the grocery store I used to find bags of flour in his car trunk. One time the whole back of his car was powdered with white. Or another time i found 5 dispensers of Saran Wrap and eggs, both of which I absconded. I found out later that he and his friends had flour fights, or sometimes they would saran wrap each other's cars, and of course the eggs were for mailboxes.

My favorite memory of Harry though has to do with this plastic rubbery seagull that was about half the size of a real seagull with a squeaker inside of it. Harry has had this toy since he was about three or four. For many years he would fly it in the room, its wings flapping like crazy (in his hand running) and knock lamps over as he went. I probably should not have laughed as I was yelling at him. I forget if he ever named it...but always it would cause a commotion. I could never get him to stop doing it...probably because secretly I thought it was pretty funny too. Hey but Memorial Weekend is in memory of our fallen solders... not my son. I think that was Mother's Day where I should have been thinking of this kind of stuff.

3 comments:

Ginnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginnie said...

Hi, Anne! I'm glad to see you're back! I haven't been blogging or reading blogs much lately, either, so haven't checked on you in a while. Great news about the house selling...

Laura said...

Adorable! He looks just like an angel.