Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fifty is Nifty



This is a picture of my older sister on her fiftieth birthday which happened a couple of years ago about this time of year. We went to some kind of review in Chicago. I am sure you can tell the kind of review. Jenny posed with some of the entertainers. The club and this review have been around since the 70's and we heard that one of the entertainers (the "girl" in the middle) used to date Dennis Rodman. This night club, and I can't remember the name, is a popular event for bachlorette parties and the girls wear plastic lauas?help) and the emcee has them stand up and the "girls" prance with them or tell jokes. It was fun. My sister was surprised. The bigger surprise though was that I showed up.



My sister is the oldest of four and the first to hit the big 5 0. My brother is a year younger and turned 50 in 2006 and I am turning 50 this year. My little sister (who was always taller than me) will turn fifty not long after that. Yikes!



What I get the biggest kick out of though is the kids, our children. They think we are just such old turds, like we don't know what they are doing. Sheesh! Like we've never done what they are doing or know what they are talking about. Times change but not that much.




My niece Megan (proud owner of Pufkin the hamster, and winner in the Egg Decorating contest) is in the process of moving out of the house and into an apartment near Wrigley Field. We are all very excited about that and I wonder how she'll feel every weekend when several of her Aunts (and me too!) show up at midnite looking for a place to crash because they don't want to drive back to the burbs. I can't wait for the day my mother and Mario show up for the same reason. In our family it doesn't matter how old you are, you never lose it.

4 comments:

Ginnie said...

Great picture - so funny! And I'll bet your sister is glad that you didn't feel the need to tell us that she is the one on the right.

MizMell said...

I'm coming up on 50 in the fall. I hope I don't lose it...

Anonymous said...

It's called Baton's. It's been there forever, great fun.

Kate said...

My first trip to New Orleans resulted in a similar event except that the other girl and I both refused to get close enough to have a photo taken. Those "girls" are stunning. Of course, if I had someone to dress me, do my makeup, and make me "work it" I 'd be a different person too :-)