Monday, November 5, 2007

Trees and solitude


I pulled this poem from "right hand pointing" http://www.righthandpointing.com/
The poet reminds me of Mark Strand (Eating Poetry, The Marriage).

We have at least fifty acres of trees in various stages of growth. Our trees our like our children. We are sad when we lose one. Over the years we've watched them grow. We've even had trees moved rather than cut them down. We moved about twenty trees once with one of those huge spades. That was an amazing machine. All the trees lived. We haven't always been as successful with other tree planting projects.
Also, we have more wildlife here now than when we first bought the land and it was all just cornfields. I've seen a barr owl and a pileated woodpecker. Pileated woodpeckers need mature forest . The owl needs big old trees for nesting too.

We talk about selling our property and the polite thing to do is ask your neighbors, but some neighbors I just wouldn't sell to because they would till some of the fields coming out of CRP back into crop land. I can just tell. My husband and I have talked about doing a land trust, but not sure how hard it would be to sell if we did leave. And then other days I think that this is absolutely the best place to be, and I love the solitude and privacy. I think I should stay here for as long as I can because I will miss it when I leave. I don't think anybody would understand unless they lived in a place like this and had the room and the freedom we have had living here. Recently I've begun going for a walk every evening before sunset, as long as the weather holds. I walk along the fencelines which go through shared woods and field. I enjoy it very much.
Watching the Pine Fall
by Doug Draime

Am I the one to ask the question
Or the guy across the street
With a chain saw biting deep into a pine tree?
Words very often appear on wood
A highly refined bleached wood
Maybe this paper was once a pine?
Nevermind, no words can compare to a tree
But any idiot can operate a chain saw

4 comments:

MizMell said...

Walking the fence line sounds like something I should do more often.
I did venture up the hill over to the barn last Sunday. I sat on the hillside and watched the squirrels run up and down trees. I marveled at the shadows cast by the afternoon sun.
I am a bit put off by overzealous hunters this time of year. And I am feeling sad for the animals that have to hide to stay out of harm's way.
I'm hoping that they will figure out they need to stay on this 26 acres...

Heidi said...

I love living out in the country surrounded by nature,not neighbors. I am not an outside type of person in general, but when I have lived in a city, I can still feel all the "people energy" suffocating me.

alice c said...

How fortunate you are to have all that space and sky.

Anonymous said...

I love your place too, Anne - picking up buckeyes, hunting for elderberries, walking in the woods with the dog and cats, breathing the wonderful clean air, and finding things growing instead of cement and highways and endless people, people, people crowding on one another. Mom