Saturday, October 27, 2007

Was this a good idea..

A few weeks ago the woman who was cleaning my house quit. She got a job in a nursing home. She had four kids and it is second shift with benefits. It is a good thing and I was very happy for her and I like her a lot. I decided that since I had plenty of vacation time till the end of the year that I would just clean the house myself and that would be refreshing. I could take half days every other Friday.

But then I saw an add in the local paper. A woman was advertising some openings and I called her. Thanksgiving is coming up and I have to do some travel for business and perhaps it would keep me saner if I got someone to help.

So then she came over. She has OCD which stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
She used to work in the medical industry but then decided that she should use her gift that God
has given her and cleaning just made sense.

I am wondering what I have gotten myself into. She wanted to know where all my cleaning supplies were, and materials. I showed her everything that was in my closets and cabinets so that she would know where everything went. She says she has to put things away and nothing can be on countertops (when I suggested that she just leave the cleaning supplies on the counter etc.) The beds all have to be made. Everything has got to be perfect. When she saw the cupboard where I keep rags and brushes and vacuum filters she asked if I would mind if she reorganized that. Well, sure. I do myself sometimes. And, my cupboards and pantry do look pretty disheveled at this moment in time. I usually ignore those kinds of projects till the weather turns bad.


As we walked around the house and talked she picked up paper scraps and bits off the floor. She has given me a list of special cleaning supplies and tools that she will need. I am a vinnegar and water, bleach and ammonia sort of person depending on the job. I use an old fashioned rag mop to do the floor. I like things simple and basic and without the filler (all those chemicals whose names cannot be pronounced). So now I have a list of supplies that I have to get before she starts next week. I am not sure I will be able to handle this. I really am not interested in perfection.

Today I am reorganizing my pantry and the place I keep all my cleaning supplies. I would hate to send her into a tailspin on her first visit.

5 comments:

MizMell said...

Sounds like you picked the right lady for the job! Keep us posted...

blackbird said...

I think you'll have to give her a few tries....
I always thought if I had a cleaning woman I'd be checking the spot BEHIND the toilet - I have a hard time reaching there.
Maybe, sometime in the future, you can find a mid-way between vinegar and water and the heavy duty stuff. Or maybe she'll drive you crazy.

Anonymous said...

I wish my cleaning lady was obsessive-compulsive. I think she's the opposite but it's still better than doing it myself.

alice c said...

She sounds scary - I'm thinking that you are going to be spending a lot of time cleaning up BEFORE she comes.

robkroese said...

Wow. At least she's not a kleptomaniac. As far as you know.