Thursday, February 7, 2008











This is my youngest sister's daughter. I love these pictures. Last fall they took a trip to Madison County, Iowa and visited all the bridges that were popularized in Robert James Waller's novel "Bridges of Madison County". My sister told me that some of the streets in the area around these bridges had names like "Francesca's Way" and "Robert Kincaid Way" after the characters played by actors Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood in the movie. If you didn't know this, the plot of the movie is that a bored housewife meets a passing stranger (a national geographic photographer) and has a really heated affair that lasts a weekend. Her family is at the state fair so they know nothing about it. I've been thinking about this for a long time and what gets me is the whole idea that a local government would ok impropriety by naming streets after the characters in this movie/novel. My sister disagrees with me on this point, but I think the government should be above reproach. What people do in their personal lives is their own business and as entertainment I am ok with it. I am an idealist I guess. I also think Clint Eastwood was really hot in this movie.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

really hot? I thought he was wrinkly.

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what a sterile and boring world it would be if local governments were all-consumed with being "beyond reproach". Bah.
That girl is a cutie pie!

MizMell said...

I think Clint Eastwood is really hot anytime!

Anonymous said...

To Bridges of MC Model: You gotta get past the wrinkles. He was "hot" because he was soooo romantic!

Unknown said...

I find the older i get the more i like wrinkles!

Ginnie said...

I never saw the movie, but I did read the book when it first came out. What I found funny was how many people thought it was non-fiction (despite the words "A Novel" on the cover).

And I agree with lolo! Though she seems to have a severe tic in her right eye. ;)

Heidi said...

My hus and I were probably the only 2 people who didn't like that movie. There was no reason for the affair, her hus seemed like a nice guy.