Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Winter drags on... I am running out of inspiration

The picture you see above is a corner of my front porch, to the left of the door. Our front porch is wide enough to have a glider and chairs for sitting. There is a rail that goes across the front, so it looks homey. My stuff is sort of thrown in the corner there. It is winter and this area has been neglected since November. You'll notice that my decor is pretty tacky. There are some frogs I bought in Myrtle Beach and a dwarf (in honor of my son who steals lawn ornaments from his friends' houses). I put refrigerator magnets on the barrel (where else would you put them?) and sea shells, because I can't help collecting them on vacation, sit on top of the barrel along with some tacky metal yard art sculpture. What can I say? I grew up in a neighborhood with religious statues, chrome balls and pink flamingos. If a tree died sure enough the next day your neighbor would paint it white. Its hard to lose those early influences. I still love those neighborhoods with their heavily manicured evergreen shrubery (japanese yews). In fact I put those same green bushes in my front yard and I keep them neatly trimmed. Our house, which is out in the middle of nowhere looks like it fell out of a suburb from the 1950's, except the yard art has been updated for the new millenium.

As you can see also, the Christmas Owl, my dog Max's best friend, is still around. I told myself that when the temperature got over 32 degrees I would get rid of him. Well it hasn't.

Below is a picture of our cat Tiger and her best friend. Its a weasel that came off some kind of battery operated rolly ball. A christmas present no doubt from one of my nieces or nephews in years past. I tried to wash it once and that was a big mistake. Tiger carries it around with her. I will find it on the couch or the bottom of our bed. This is what she does with it when she's eating her dinner.










6 comments:

Heidi said...

I like your porch decor. I think you should put whatever you like on it. Not sure I like the dead owl though, kind of creepy.
I am with you on feeling like the winter is dragging on and on and on.....

MizMell said...

I peeked out on the back deck and saw the remnants of life suited for an entirely different climate. I know I should do some tidying, but I am holding out for spring.

Rick Rockhill said...

I don't think its tacky at all, its a nice collection of things!

robkroese said...

That's awesome that your cat drags that thing around. Is it your cat's pet?

Unknown said...

diesel, Yes...my friend referred to it as a dead toy ..but its not dead..it just has a bad hair job because I washed it. She really loves it and carries it everywhere (like a security blanket). She spent her early years on our shoulders or in a carrier to protect her from the larger cats we had. She's our favorite

Ginnie said...

Love the cat's friend. If you didn't know what it was, you'd think it was something the dog dragged in. (Oh, no, wait - what the dog dragged in lives on the porch.) Funny to see the owl is still with you! Doesn't say much for the winter we're having, does it. I'm ready for a change in weather.