Wednesday, January 23, 2008

John Pike died this morning



His family was holding vigil for him for at least a week. He has a fantastic family, very loyal and loving. John stopped eating about two weeks ago and over time was drinking less liquids. It happens fast if you don't eat or drink.

I have blogged about John previously here, and his very good friend, Virginia, here.

I was amazed and impressed with how brave John was, and how accepting of his fate. He was ready. He was kind to his family to the very end. He made their burden easy and for all the friction that may have existed between some of the members, he, and they never showed it.

Per his wishes his brother is going to have him cremated. John's brother is a plumber and has a backhoe so Joe will bury John in one of the family plots that was bought by their father many years ago. There will be no funeral or wake and Joe promised to call me when they bury him. I'll probably take the day off work.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

So sorry to hear that. I think it would be wonderful of you to attend his burial. My thoughts are with all who cared for John.

Anonymous said...

He was unforgetable and I know you'll miss him. So sorry Anne.

Unknown said...

Anne, I'm so sorry. What a wonderful picture of him you painted for us.

blackbird said...

I'm sorry Anne.
What a wonderful portrait you've painted of him - it has made me feel his loss.

Rick Rockhill said...

Oh gosh I'm sorry to hear that he passed. I do remember your posts about him. It was nice that he has been memorialized in the blogosphere through you.

MizMell said...

I'm so sorry. Since there is no funeral planned, are you and your friends (Virginia) planning a memorial service?

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.