Thursday, September 20, 2007

Conversation with the Dr.

The other day I went with my son to his dr. appointment. My son has an aortic aneurism (a complication of a bicuspid aortic valve) which forced him to quit all competitive collision / contact sports. Normally people have a three flap valve. My son has a two flap valve hence the bicuspid term. Sometimes this will lead to complications similar to what my son developed.

He played hockey, football and soccer; pretty much all his favorite activities, but no question, hockey was his favorite. The disease was diagnosed a couple of years ago. It was both very sad to discover, and difficult to transition our high energy athletic son to a different lifestyle with new interests. No matter, we consider ourselves fortunate to have stumbled onto it. Complications from this condition are the fifth most frequent cause of sudden death in young athletes on the field during sporting events. Most individuals are unaware that they have the condition as there are no symptoms. John Ritter, the actor, died when his aortic aneurysm burst, at least this is what I read at one time, I cannot say for sure that it is true. And, at the time I don’t believe he or anyone knew that he had this health risk.

We were always aware that my son had a heart murmur, and the doctors all said he would grow out of it, except that he never did. The heart murmur, long arms (possible marfans – President Abraham Lincoln was though to have Marfans), and a breathing episode during hockey, resulted in a recommendation to get an echocardiogram from our local doctor. My son had nothing wrong with his heart, but they discovered this out lying condition that they would only let our family doctor discuss with us. Now, my son has annual medical visits to check his cardiovascular system, along with regularly scheduled CT scans, and I am joking about starting a “heart” fund for future complications (valve replacement, periodic scans etc. at one grand a pop) at a time when my son is no longer covered under my insurance. Well, I guess I am sort of joking.


My son’s doctor (also my husband’s doctor) is a stereotypical small town doctor you see in movies or on TV. He gives discounted sports medical exams for the kids over the summer. He can do anything and knows everything as far as I am concerned. One time I stopped in his office for some reason, and the nurse went to get him and he comes out holding the snow shovel, saying “what, what? Does the sidewalk need clearing again?” They’ve since hired another male staff member, but at the time he was the only man in an office full of women and the sidewalk was his responsibility. On the occasions when he had to discuss our son’s condition with me or my son, there were tears in his eyes. He really cares a lot. And Harry and I have always joked about doctor visits in general, because he’ll take the time to tell you all the technical ins and outs of whatever condition you have, what he checks, why he checks, and so on. While it was great for this particular situation with his heart, for things like tetanus and other infectious diseases we would usually leave feeling far worse than we came in given all the gory details he provided.

So on this most recent visit we were talking about Harry’s senior year and I was complaining about all the solicitations by every branch of the armed forces, and how they were un-phased by Harry’s medical condition, and went even so far as to schedule visits to our home after Harry mentioned his condition to them.

The doctor began to explain that teenagers were vulnerable and made easy prey because of their ignorance and lack of experience. Teenagers do not realize that when they signed up for service, the government owned them and their bodies. He said that these young men could be court marshaled simply for getting hurt or sick to a point that they are not able to serve. Then he talked about WWI and foxholes.

There were high incidents of infection during WWI because there was a prevalence of uncircumcised men and the difficulties of keeping clean under conditions that existed in foxholes. For the next war, per the doctor, men were given shots, hair cuts and circumcised on the spot, and that this led to an increase in babies being circumcised, so that the next generations son’s would be able to avoid this if they were called into service. (I currently know at least one man who served in the Vietnam War and was not circumcised going in. It is an interesting story anyway. As a side note, there is a rise in un-circumcised boys again because insurance companies are defining it as a religious preference rather than a preventative health measure. )

The doctor talked about being a medical doctor in the armed forces, and some of the “tricks” the government played to encourage one to re-enlist. It was clear that he did not care for the armed forces and he was none too happy with how he or his patients during this period were treated while serving their country. That brought us to the current government. The good doctor did not disagree with my opinion on the war, nor the state of our government, though he did not add to it. And then I was on a roll against our current government policies. I feel we’ve lost twenty years on the fight for a cleaner environment, and with the changes in laws regarding terrorist activity; we are taking away the hard won rights of individuals. This country was settled by slaves, bonded servants and criminals (unfairly prosecuted no doubt) who had no rights in the countries they left. It is no wonder our constitution is based on the necessity of presumed innocence and certain inalienable rights, and this was all part of the declaration of independence. I also got a call from the State Troopers auxiliary or association or whatever it was last night. I told them I wouldn’t give them any more of my money because I’ve given them plenty (inference meaning traffic stops on state highways)! I’ll get off my soap box now.

3 comments:

MizMell said...

I feel like we ARE neighbors as I read your post. Great minds think alike, they say.

Adam said...

Hey there,

FYI, I had a bicuspid aortic valve like your son.

I say 'had' because I had a Ross Procedure (aka a double valve replacement in 2005)

All better now, though.

But, if there is anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Cheers,

Adam
Ross Procedure

Heidi said...

My son has a heart murmur and the doctor said he will outgrow it. I guess I'll make sure she listens very carefully at his next checkup and see if any tests are recc.
There aren't many doctors like yours left, hang on to him.